Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's In A Name?

I must preface this blog with a thank you shout out to a woman I am blessed to call "friend" through the most unconventional of circumstances~Mrs. Gina Marie Camp~for inspiring me to get back to writing!

Writing in the early morning is usually reserved for scribbles in my journal, but today feels different. As I drink my first cup of coffee, I am smiling thinking about today's plans. Although they include the obligatory eight hours of work, exciting adventures are planned and I am grateful.

As we go through our lives, we will have many titles...daughter, sister, cousin, wife, mother, friend etc. And one of the most special titles we can earn is "Aunt". I say earn because even though it can be attained simply by sibling procreation, it can also be bestowed upon a person because of a connection that the universe held for two people destined to cross paths and form a beautiful friendship. I am the lucky recipient of this title for both of those reasons.

Thanks to my beautiful sister, I have a niece who has grown into a beautiful young woman and is becoming a mother herself. Thanks to my cousins, their children call me Auntie Mandy and it has been a joy watching all of them grow into the amazing human beings they are. My husband made me the luckiest aunt in the world because when I married him, not only did I instantly become an aunt to his nieces and nephews, but the opportunity to be a "great-aunt" was already in place. Loving all of these children and being so proud of all their accomplishments is a blessing I cherish everyday.

My most recent acquisition of this title came in the most unexpected of places. Not only did the stars align and bring a wonderful friend into my world, but two beautiful little girls are part of the deal. Meeting them for the first time was something I could not wait for, even though I was more nervous than a job interview about it. Suffice it to say, we became fast friends, laughing and giggling about silly things that nine & six year olds think are funny and the bond was formed. Upon saying goodnight, I was stopped by a tiny voice saying "Auntie Mandy..." to get my attention before the car door closed. My heart lit up brighter than the fireworks finale we had just watched. Two simple words that hold so much joy, I was blessed.

And now, I cannot wait to see them again. On the agenda is a date for a 3-D movie adventure tonight, pizza, games & coloring tomorrow and a classic movie adventure Thursday! Three days of non-stop fun with my newest nieces, what could be cooler than that?

Although it has been far too long since I have written here, I have never stopped being grateful for everything I have been blessed with in my life and I believe that is why the gifts I receive are as beautiful as these two little girls. So for this, the 10th day of July 2012, I am thankful for the title of "Aunt Mandy" and will continue to cherish it everyday.

Peace & Love~

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment